The Roanoke Valley-Alleghany Regional Commission is undertaking a Local Food System Study. With the growth of community gardens and farmers markets in the region, the effort is timely - and as with anything local, transportation choice plays a role.
Foreign lands never yield their secrets to a traveller. The best they offer are tantalising snippets, just enough to inflame the imagination. The secrets they do reveal are your own - the ones you have kept from yourself. And this is reason enough to travel, to leave home.
Happy Canada Day!
Fun Facts that make Canada awesome:
- Same-Sex marriage is legalized in the ENTIRE country.
- Since 1790, the US has had 16 banking crises and Canada has had zero. (Source)
- Canada ranks 5th on the human freedom index (US is ranked 7th) (Source / PDF)
- Canada is the 3rd best place to live. (Source)
- Canada is the 2nd most educated country (Source)
- Ranked #9 for least corrupt country (tied with Australia) (Source)
- Canadians get paid maternity leave. (source)
- Canada got rid of the penny (Source)
- Rank 18 on Press Freedom Index (US is 46th) (Source)
- 8th (as of 2013) most peaceful country. (Source)
- Ranks 7th on the Social Progress Index (2014) (Source) (Source2)
- Canada’s middle class is now the world’s richest [middle class] (Source)
Totally moving to Canada. I say that every other week though.
Japanese Exhibition Poster: Tsutsumu: Traditional Japanese Packaging. Direction Q. 2011
Want to learn this!
i want a word for the almost-home.
that point where the highway’s monotony becomes familiar
that subway stop whose name will always wake you from day’s-end dozing
that first glimpse of the skyline
that you never loved until you left it behind.
what do you call the exit sign you see even in your dreams?
is there a name for the airport terminal you come back to,
i need a word for rounding your corner onto your street,
for seeing your city on the horizon,
for flying homewards down your highway.
give me a word for the boundary
between the world you went to see
and the small one you call your own.
i want a word for the moment you know
you’re almost home.
We told girls that they should be little angels.
Now we cannot stop them.
There is a phenomena sweeping across the nation. Young girls are changing. Young girls are changing at a rapid pace. Young girls are becoming the little angels we’re always wanted them to be. Or not little, at all.